Diagnoses of mesothelioma at early stage make you eligible for treatments like radiation, chemo, and surgery, which help to extend life expectancy. However, stage 4th mesothelioma is most advanced stage and hard to treat. Unfortunately, majority of people don’t develop symptoms until cancer progresses towards stage 3rd and 4th. Actually, by the time their disease is diagnosed it is beyond treatment stage.
Stage 4th mesothelioma means the tumor has spread from its origin point to the patient’s abdomen, chest cavity, distant lymph nodes, heart, prostrate, brain, and spine. It has even been introduced in the bloodstream.
Symptoms given below occur when cancer has reached its last stage.
- Hard to breathe and shortness of breath
- Fluid buildup in chest and abdomen
- Intense fatigue
- Hard to swallow
- Chest pain
- Blood coughing
- Abdominal pain
- Night sweats
- Sudden weight loss
Unluckily, forecast for stage four mesothelioma cancer is very poor. Usually, the patient lives for not more than one year. Aggressive treatments and invasive surgical procedures are not good because of severe side effect risk.
Clearly speaking, treatment plan will be towards palliative instead of curative. It means medical needs get focused on supportive care through emotional support, pain management, enhance symptoms, and improve life quality in general.
As the tumor is large, removing is hard, so palliative surgery is used to target problematical tumor to decrease pain as well as help patient’s breath more comfortably. In supportive care for stage 4th doctors recommend pain medication, oxygen therapy, respiratory therapy for enhancing lung function, pain management, and other ways to increase their comfort.
Diet plan for stage 4th mesothelioma
Good nutrition is crucial because you can feel better during this severe cancer phase.
- Add fresh fruits and veggies rich in vitamins and antioxidants. It helps to restore body energy and enhance immune system.
- Carbohydrates gives sufficient energy to combat this condition during treatment, whole grain is highly recommended.
- High quality proteins from chicken, lentils, lean meat, fish, dairy food, and soy products help to rebuild damaged tissue.
- When you are going cancer, treatment getting dehydrated is easy, so remember to drink 2 liters of water daily.
Patients with stage 4th diagnosis may not be eligible for traditional treatment but can join clinical trials, where research is focused on testing new treatment method like immunotherapy.