The metals found in jewellery can cause a skin reaction as the metal reacts with the acidic nature of your skin. The higher the acidity level of your skin the quicker the reaction will occur.

According to the experts at House Call Doctor, people who are allergic to metals will have an allergic reaction where the body treats the small metal molecules as foreign matter causing an immune response resulting in rash, swelling, blistering, or itching. Most reactions will become evident between 12 to 48 hours after contact with metal.

Copper, tin, and nickel are often added to make jewellery more durable and are the metals that react with the acidity in your skin. Metals like these can also be found in tattoo inks, mobile phones, spectacles, buttons, and zippers.

Nickel

Nickel is the most common metal to cause reactions, as it is one of the cheaper metals and commonly found in cheaper jewellery.

Copper/brass

These metals or a combination of the two are also commonly found in cheaper jewellery and can be the cause of your skin turning green. The copper in jewellery reacts with the skin and starts to corrode, forming a salt compound which is green. The green tinge is harmless, unless you are allergic to metals.

Gold/Silver

Its best to buy jewellery that is made from gold and silver completely, rather than jewellery that is plated. These metals have a much lower chance of reacting with your skin.

Prevention

To avoid an allergic reaction to jewellery avoid washing your hands with jewellery on, remove jewellery before physical activity and take care of your jewellery to prevent it becoming scratched.

Alternatives

Stainless steel jewellery can be an alternative option for people who react to jewellery because of high acidity in the skin. This jewellery is strong and shouldn’t cause a reaction in your skin.

Yellow gold, platinum, and sterling silver are much less likely than other metals and allows to cause reactions.

About The Author